Set notation is the language of modern mathematics and computer science. It provides a way to define and formalize many notions such as algebraic and data structure. It provides formality and brevity much needed mathematics and computer science.
What is a set?
A set is a collection of unique objects. These objects are placed within curly braces ““. For example a set of animals can be cat, dog, snake or bird, cow, fish . This way of writing a set is called the tabular form, a more common way is defined as follows:
satisfies some properties
The vertical line stands for “such that”. The set of farm animals or animals that lives on a farm is written as is an animal that lives on a farm .
- What is a set?
- Basic Notations
- Union and Intersection
- Number Sets
- Complement, Power set and Cartesian Product
- Naive Set Theory by Paul R. Halmos
- Schaum’s outline of Set Theory by Seymour Lipschutz
- Chapter Zero by Carol Schumacher
- Fundamental Concepts of Computer Science by Leon S. Levy